is situated 6 miles from Ipswich and 3 miles from
Although it is quite close to these towns, it has retained the quiet country feel that the British countryside is renowned for.
Mentioned in the Domesday Survey of 1086, it was at that time little more than a settlement, and was about one third of the size of the present parish with a population of almost 250.
The name may have come from the old Norse, Grundi, a ninth century Vicking who built his fort or burgh nearby or it maybe the ground ( grund ) below Burgh, an old Roman settlement to the north east close to the main road.
The present village has over 1500 residents, the younger children attend the local Grundisburgh Primary School (click on the link for more details).
Below is an articles from the Grundisburgh Local History Society
THOMAS WALL THE SALTER
“Just before the
Reformation a little chapel was thrown out on the south side of the chancel”;
this is the quaint language used by the elderly Rev. Graves Lombard, organiser of an excursion of the Suffolk Institute of
Archaeology to Grundisburgh in 1931, when referring to the Lady Chapel. The
chapel is the only portion of the medieval church (as distinct from the 18th
century tower) for which we have any details of date or founder. These are
given in the inscription on the parapet, which exhorts us to pray for the souls
of Thomas Wale (or Wall) and Alice his wife, and is dated 1527. When the
chantry chapel of Thomas Spring III of Lavenham was
built at about the same time, the Spring arms were
carved on it, as they were on the top of the tower. It is the Spring Merchant’s
mark, though, which appears at the bottom of the tower, which itself epitomises the rise of the family. Thomas Wall was not as
successful as that, and had to be content with using his merchant’s mark on his
Grundisburgh chapel, which he alternated with the arms of his
What do we know of this Thomas Wall? His will (P.C.C.
6 Thower), made on his deathbed on 3rd March 1531
(although he called it 1530 because the new year then
began on 25th March, not 1st January), tells us that he was a citizen and salter of
That Wall was wealthy, if not of
the Spring class, can be seen from the bequests in his
will and the property mentioned. He left over £60 in direct monetary gifts,
representing some thousands of pounds at today’s values, and further subsequent
payments out of pieces of property. By City standards, his funeral was fairly
modest; his body was accompanied by sixteen poor men carrying torches and
tapers, and dirige (from which we get “dirge”) and
requiem mass was said and sung by guilds (including the Salters),
friars and nuns. He remembered the prisoners in
Wall had property in
Two pieces of property, though,
We have to assume that the
provisions of the will were complied with, though There
seems to be no evidence either way. No chantry appears under Grundisburgh in
the “Valor Ecclesiasticus”, the survey of religious
finances conducted for Henry VIII in 1555, nor is there any sign of it in the
Chantry Certificates of 1548. The London property would have been confiscated
by the Crown as a result of the Chantries Act of 1547, unless the trustees
could convince the authorities that the whole income was to be used for true
charity, and not for “superstitious uses” (i.e. pre Reformation religious
practices), in which case they would have survived as London charities. St. Botulph’s, Billingsgate, was one of the churches which was
not rebuilt after being destroyed in the Great Fire of 1666.